CD Visor, revisited

It’s been a while ago that I made this (what I considered at the time to be lovely) CD Visor organizer for my car. Remember?

IMAG1446

I stole this idea from a tutorial on Pinterest, of course ๐Ÿ™‚ Looking at it now I think the binding is wretched, it’s too bulky and thick, and a bunch of other things about it annoy me (what’s up with those angles???)… When I first made it though, I thought it was pretty awesome.

This is what it looks like now on my passenger side visor:

IMG_7275
Saggy elastic… fabric is weighted down…binding is still wretched.

I decided it was time to make a new one.

Materials needed for this project, should you choose to copy me, are 3 fat quarters, some batting (or heavy stabilizer/interfacing of your choice), and elastic.

IMG_7247
These are my Refashion Runway Winnings from The Fat Quarter Shop ๐Ÿ™‚

From one Fat Quarter, cut 2 pieces 13.75″ X 5.75″. ย These are going to be your 2 main panel pieces for the CD organizer. I cut 1 piece of batting this size as well because I have batting out the wazoo! You could use any heavy interfacing of your choice here. I only used it so the visor wouldn’t be so flimsy.

IMG_7246
You’ll be lovely for the “main body” of the CD Organizer.

From a different Fat quarter, I cut 3 pieces of fabric that measured 10.75″ X 5.75″

IMG_7232
See my pencil lines? These are the 3 pieces from this FQ

My rotary blade is so dull it’s tragic, so I ripped the fabric instead.

IMG_7233
Oh yes I did.

 

Ripping will give you a PERFECTLY straight “cut” because it rips with the grain of the fabric. All it needs is a good press to get rid of the puckering.

IMG_7234
No one will ever know the difference ๐Ÿ™‚

I did the same thing with another FQ, and I had enough scraps from my original FQ (from the “main panels” fabric) to get 3 pieces like this as well. When it was all said and done I had about 12 pieces of fabric for the CDs.

IMG_7244

Now, we can assemble this bad boy.

On one of the Main panel pieces I used a pencil (I couldn’t find my fabric marker!) and marked from the bottom to the top in one inch increments.

IMG_7249
Do this until about 6 inches from the top

Set that aside.

Next, I took my 12-ish pieces of smaller cut fabric (for the CDs themselves) and folded them in half, WRONG sides together

IMG_7248
Right side up ๐Ÿ™‚

Do this for ALL the shorter pieces of fabric.

Then, starting from the top of the main panel piece that I had just marked with pencil, assemble these smaller pieces onto the pencil marks.

IMG_7253
Match raw edge of folded fabric to pencil line.

Theย batting is under this main panel piece as well.

Sew.

IMG_7256
I used a 1/4″ seam allowance for this.

Repeat.

IMG_7257
Just a couple more..

This is where you can have fun with your 3 different fabrics. Mix and Match as you will…

IMG_7258
Last one!

To keep all the layers of fabric together better, I basted the long edges.

IMG_7261

Set that piece aside and get your elastic. This step can be tweaked based upon your preference and how big your car visor is… Mine is gynormous, so I cut 3 pieces of elastic in 9″ long strips. My original visor had 2 pieces of elastic and I always wished I had put an extra one in the middle to stabilize it better.

Decide where you want your elastic and put it on the RIGHT side of your second Main Panel piece of fabric

IMG_7265
Baste to hold in place.

Now we can sew both of the Main Panel pieces together (Right Sides Together).

IMG_7268

The elastic will pucker the fabric a little bit. Just stretch it out as you sew around the edges. And be sure to leave one of the shorter edges unsewn to make it easier to turn right side out.

IMG_7269

After you trim the excess elastic, turn it right side out.

IMG_7270

IMG_7271

Make sure to get into those corners with a pen, pencil, chopstick, anything that’ll get them nice and flat ๐Ÿ™‚

Then sew up that remaining raw edge and you’re done!

IMG_7279

I like this one MUCH better! No stupid binding… the fabric is fresh and fun… and it’s not nearly as thick!

IMG_7281

AND, this is MY tutorial. I came up with this on my own. Go me! ๐Ÿ™‚

Note: If I’m being completely honest… I wish I’d have marked the smaller CD fabric panels a HALF inch from each other instead of one inch. *sigh. Next time I’ll do that ๐Ÿ˜‰

IMG_7282

IMG_7280

As you can see, this gave me the opportunity to clean out some of the CDs I don’t always listen to, to make room for others. I didn’t realize how many CDs I actually had! So instead of tossing the old organizer in the trash, I just put it in my passenger seat back pocket with my less listened to CDs. You can never be too organized, right?

CDcollage

Clothing refashions to come back soon, I promise ๐Ÿ™‚

 

3 thoughts on “CD Visor, revisited

  1. We were taught in Home Ec (a million years ago) to tear cotton to get a straight edge. So you’re doing it “right” at least according to my teacher … ha ha … A great project and nice use of the fat quarters!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s