My biggest challenge was finding Gingham for .99 cents! I saw a plethora of gingham print I wanted to get my hands on at the .99 cent Goodwill sale last week… but none of it bore the .99 cent sales sticker… Yes, even when the entire refashioning blogosphere is onlooking, still, I will NOT back off from my .99 cent rule. I just won’t do it.
Luckily, I found this in the “Scrubs” section after an hour of looking.
I got to work by resizing it. I used a favorite dress (also a refashion, of course!) of mine for the job.
I cleaned up the side edges with a serger:
I wanted to break up the gingham a little bit, so I found a garment in my stash that I bought solely for the lace… (we all know how I’m just a little obsessed with lace) 😉 and I made a sleeve.
I sewed the unfolded long edge of the sleeves down (RST). Then, I sewed a basting stitch (which is just a super long straight stitch with tension set to 0) on the cap of the sleeve. This makes it easier to, uh, “ease” 😉
When I put this sleeve into the arm hole of my gingham shirt, this will ensure it fits in case the size of the holes (gingham & lace) are different.
Put it under the needle and straight stitch it down. This is when a “Free-Arm” comes in handy.
I stole the bias tape off of the original sleeve of the gingham scrub and harvested it to the bottom sleeve of the lace.
With the scraps of the side seams I cut off in the very beginning, I made an easy sash to tie around my waist.
I cut a few more inches off the bottom of the shirt and gave it a rolled hem using the Skyline.
It was blazing hot outside for, like, the first time ALL year in Indiana. Go figure 🙂 I had to make due with the inside photos
2 challenges down… I hope I make it to the next round 🙂 To vote for me in #RefashionRunway3 (<—let’s start a trend!), visit the Renegade Seamstress.