I love it when I find shirts like this for only .99 cents!!!
…and HATE it when they’re too small 😦
Of course, Muffin lit up like a Christmas Tree when I modeled it for him. “Do you think this is too small?” —“NO!”
He’s just a little biased, which is really cute 🙂 but it is definitely too small…
The scrap is uneven, so that’s why I marked it with chalk… I left the bottom hem as-is so I could adjust it to the hem of the new shirt after I put it in.
Now, I’ve got to cut the back of my shirt so I can add the panel in to it.
Sidebar: aren’t you proud of me for doing all this measuring and marking??? 🙂 I dare say I’m getting slightly less lazy with my sewing.
Right sides together, pin the extra panel of the fabric onto one of the new raw edges of the back.
I sewed this in place with our Unity Sewing/Embroidery machine by Baby Lock. I haven’t done overcasting on a Baby Lock and I wanted to try it.
Unity’s overcast foot is different than what I’m used to… I actually really like the flange/guide in the middle of the foot as opposed to the right edge of the foot. I was able to feed the material under the needle a little better.
Attach the other side of the panel to the back of the shirt, obviously.
The Navy color is slightly darker on the panel but… oh well. I cleaned up the bottom hem to match each other.
Elephant in the room: It’s still too small
At least, I think so
It’s definitely more comfortable with the extra panel. I don’t know if I’m just a little too hard on myself (I pride myself on being realistic where body image is concerned, though) but I still think it’s just a little too tight.
This was an easy way to add extra material. In fact, I found it easier than adding panels to the side of a shirt. I’ll save this technique for future jobs… and I’ll be more liberal with the extra material 🙂