Muffin and I moved in to our new house last September. We absolutely LOVE it! Like, I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love my new house.
It’s been 9 months since the move and we’re STILL personalizing it with little updates. Our most recent project is the kitchen.
Would you believe this is the ONLY “before” pic I have of my kitchen? Talk about a fail…
I’d like to draw your attention to the curtains. I made these pre-blog for my condo that I lived in 9 years prior to our new home. The ceilings weren’t as high in the condo, so when we hung them up in the new house they were obviously too short. Not a good look.
When we started to finally paint this dining area, we took down the curtains and I seized the moment to add length
I cut the black fabric to match the width, but I had to match up the seams as well.
Pin black raw edge over
The black fabric is not actually pinned to the curtain yet, so I just sewed this selvage edge down with a straight stitch on our Janome 6600P
I repeated this for the other side of the black fabric and I was left with a big square.
Very crudely, I cut along the fold to give me 2 pieces.
The plan is to now sew this to the bottom of my curtains, right? To ensure that these would be long enough, I actually seam ripped out the blindhem on the curtains, first.
Then I pinned the black fabric to the now longer geometric fabric, right sides together.
And sew them together.
I did this with both panels and then I set the machine up to do a rolled hem and finished the bottom raw edge of the black fabric.
Normally, I would do a blindhem stitch but I was feeling kind of lazy 🙂 I just wanted to get it done.
Give it a good press.
And guess what, folks? A longer curtain is born.
Notice anything else different about our Dining area?
I’d definitely say there’s enough length there…
It’s the paint color 🙂 You’re looking at “Brown Buzz” by Lowe’s. Yes, yes it may look more like a silver sage but it’s called “Brown Buzz.” We got this can of paint with a coupon, of course. It also had a rebate with it. So, we got a pretty good deal on this.
Muffin was vehemently against this idea! He wanted to leave the panels short. He thought that adding a black panel to the bottom for length would look cheap and “crafty.”
…as usual 😉
I bought the geometric fabric from Jo-Ann about 3 summers ago… but I think they still have it. I forget how many yards it was, but the total was around $40. The black fabric was completely free, so this upgrade cost me nothing. For custom made curtains, $40 still isn’t too shabs!