My friend Jess is having a girl! It only took her 4 times to get it right 🙂 She requested “burp cloths” for her baby shower… I have an insane amount of scraps just sitting in my stash for a rainy day… Wheels in my head turning, the “Rainy Day” burp cloth was my concoction for giving Jess what she wanted while shrinking my scrap stash at the same time.
5 cloth diapers come in a package so I decided to make 5 different and unique burp cloths for Jess out of these. I typically have a strict .99 cents rule when sewing/refashioning but… Good luck finding these bad boys for any less than $5.99.
For Burp Cloth #2 I decided to do an Owl applique. The theme of baby Cheyenne’s nursery is owls so, why not? I drew an owl on a post it note so I would have a visual reference.
It’s actually pretty cute, isn’t it?
There was brown polka dot fabric in my stash, so that was going to be the body of the owl. I just hope I cut the right shape.
Beautiful. It actually worked! I then used some left over pink fabric from burp cloth #1 to create the wings.
See how I’m coming up with this?
‘Cuz if you don’t I’m really not sure how to explain it 🙂
With my extra scraps, I cut the other shapes of the Owl’s face: for the eyes I used the base of a spool of thread for the circles; for the nose I just free-handed a triangle; I even found some cute buttons for the pupils!
It’s totes adorbs if I do say so myself 🙂 Just like I “assembled” the shapes, I just have to sew them to the burp cloth one “shape” at a time until it’s all finished.
I used a straight stitch because the guaze-like material is pretty tricky to sew on, actually. To give the wings some dimension I did go over those with a zig zag. Thankfully, it wasn’t too difficult since those pieces were cut a little larger.
Lastly, I sewed on the buttons.
A homemade owl applique burp cloth is born
I kinda want to keep this for myself 🙂
2 of 5 burp cloths finished.