This really didn’t need to be “rescued” as Lane Bryant is fabulous!
This piece is equally awesome and I’m sure that someone paid a pretty penny for it. I know because I used to shop at Lane Bryant ALL the time back in the day…back when I had money 😉 It just needed a little bit of modifying to work for me.
When I felt good with the shape, I cut the excess material off the sides.
I ran the side seams under my serger to make it more secure. I could’ve just used a straight stitch but I’m really trying to be a better seamstress. I’m trying not to rush through my projects… I wanna take pride in my work, even if it is just for me. Schpeel over. 🙂
Then, I had to tackle those seams from whence I removed the sleeves:
I was basically finished, but I had to make a sash. The built-in one wasn’t working with the new modifications so I cut it out.
I wanted the sash to be longer than these two pieces, so I cut up one of the sleeves I removed earlier to get the extra fabric I needed.
Before I sewed the pieces together I did a rolled hem down the long edges of the new pieces I cut out. Leaving them raw would’ve been tacky. Again, I’m trying not to take short cuts…
I sewed the new pieces of the sash to the two original pieces of the sash and Voila!