This wasn’t my first refashion, but it’ll be my blog’s first 🙂
I started off with this polka dot number from my closet archives. 2005 to be exact. Yes, I still had it. I’ve shrunk since my college days, so this wasn’t working as is… I loved this jacket. I wasn’t ready to retire it. It was a perfectly good jacket! It just needed tweaking 🙂
First, I new I wanted to tackle the length. So, I chopped the finished hems of the sleeves and the bottom.
Then, I took the jacket in on each side about 2 inches. I always take it in before I shorten it.
After several fittings, I ended up shortening the length and the sleeves multiple times. When you’re shortening something, it’s best to err on side of caution as it’s easier to shorten than add length 🙂
After I finally got the fit I was happy with… there were still those gross stains to contend with. I washed and pre-treated this bad boy to no avail. There was nothing left to do but give it a dye bath. I have NEVER dyed anything before and was quite nervous! I got a bottle of RIT Scarlet dye and followed the directions… This was the result.
“After & Before”… Go easy on me, I’m a blogging virgin 🙂